International Student Checklist

This checklist is used by prospective students who want to attend Southwest and are a citizen of another country. Follow the checklist outlined below to become an INTERNATIONAL SALUQI.

Please send all transcripts and/or records to:

Southwest Tennessee Community College
Attention: International Student Affairs
Macon Cove Campus, Farris Building, Room 2040
P.O. Box 780
Memphis, TN 38101-0780

Most required documents can be uploaded to the Admissions Documents/Forms Upload page. (Use your student portal login or create an account to upload documents). Transcripts loaded here will not be considered official. Official college transcripts must come directly from the institution.

Special Note: Prospective international students requesting a Form I-20 [Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status] to apply for an F-1 Visa must satisfy all admission requirements before an I-20 will be issued (this includes students transferring from another institution).

Submit Online Application for Admission

Click here to Apply Online.  Upon completion of the web application, there is a $30 fee that’s required. If you wish to pay the application fee offline, contact the Bursar’s office for Payment Options.

Create Your Southwest Student Account

  • Locate and select the "My.Southwest College Portal" button [located in the top right corner of all web pages]
  • Locate and select "First Time Users"
  • Follow the instructions on the page and enter information in appropriate boxes
  • Your username will appear (jsmith) or (jsmith2)
  • To set up your My.Southwest Student Account, follow the directions and create a password. Keep your password in a secure location.
  • To access your student account, repeat steps 1 and 2.  For assistance, contact the Help Desk at 901-333-4357 (HELP).

Download the NAVIGATE Student App

To help you stay on track, Southwest has launched a NEW platform, NAVIGATE, that will simplify your college life. Using Navigate is easy and free. Simply download the "Navigate Student" app, select "Southwest TN Community College," and log in with your Southwest username and password. Learn more about Navigate and its features by watching this video.

Android users: Download the Navigate Student App
Apple users: Download the Navigate Student App

Request Academic Records

Submit official high school transcript or high school equivalency (GED/HiSet) test scores.  If you have earned a college degree you do not have to submit the high school transcript.

If you have college credits from a foreign institution that you wish to be considered for transfer to Southwest, submit official college transcript.

Note: All foreign transcripts, including high school and college, must be translated into English and evaluated for U.S. equivalent. We will accept official high school and college transcripts from any foreign credential evaluator found at  National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). It is the responsibility of the student to contact the evaluation service. For college transcripts, student should request a course-by-course evaluation.  Please be aware that these services will charge a fee to the student.

Proof of Immunizations and Health Insurance

  • Submit Immunizations Required Under Tennessee State Law and Certificate of Immunization Proof of Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), and Varicella (Chickenpox)
  • TB Tine Certification of Freedom from Tuberculosis. All international non-immigrant students applying for admission pursuant to a student visa shall submit within thirty (30) days from the first day of classes a certificate from a licensed physician or other qualified medical authority verifying freedom from tuberculosis.
  • Southwest Tennessee Community College requires international students to purchase health insurance, and provide proof of insurance each semester.  Students may select their own insurance provider, or they may opt to use the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Health Insurance Plan.  Details and other plan materials can be found at International Student Protection. Locate your school name on the dropdown list. If you have questions about medical benefits or claims, please call Relation Insurance Services at 1-888-388-0931.

Required immunization forms and proof of health insurance can be uploaded here.

Testing Requirements

For placement purposes, new freshmen are encouraged to submit official ACT or SAT scores that were taken within the last five (5) years. (Scores can be uploaded here or emailed to your enrollment specialist.)

Effective summer 2020 and fall 2020, if test scores are not available the high school GPA will be used for course placement.  Students without test scores, or whose scores and/or GPA are over five (5) years old will need to schedule the Accu-Placer exam through Testing.

English Proficiency Requirements

If your country’s native language is not English, you must submit proof of English proficiency in one of the following manners:

  • Submit TOEFL iBT score of at least 61. (The college code is 1751. Visit the TOEFL website (opens new window) to schedule a test),or
  • Submit IELTS score of at least 6, or
  • Submit PTE score of at least 50, or
  • Submit proof of successful completion of an ESL program.

International student applicants must take an English placement examination prior to registration, if there is no supporting academic credit from another USA institution. Test results may be used in place of either of the above English proficiency requirements.

Other items needed to obtain an I-20 (F-1 Visa Students only)

  • Copy of your passport and/or visa
  • Copy of Form I-94, Request Travel History and Check Travel Compliance (For additional information visit the Department of Homeland Security, I-94 website).
  • Proof of financial support.  Complete the International Student Financial Support Form and submit, along with your bank statement as indicated on the form. Funding from a banking institution must show a closing balance in U.S. dollars. Recommended financial support for each academic year is $31,403 USD. Costs may be greater due to inflation and other cost increases.

Note: After receiving your Form I-20, be sure to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee, if not already paid. Please send your I-901 payment confirmation to

New Student Orientation

Academic Advising

Academic advising is required for all new students before being allowed to register.  Advising and registration for international students will take place during the International Student Orientation, Testing and Advising sessions.

Register for Classes

Once you have seen your academic advisor you are ready to register for classes. F-1 students must be in programs of study which awards an associate degree.  F-1 students are only allowed to enroll in ONLY 3-hours of online courses per semester. If you enroll in more than 3 online hours you will be out of status and your Visa will be in jeopardy of being terminated.  

To register, log onto your student portal and select Registration/Online Services. (Online Registration Guide)

Pay for Classes

Click here for General Payment Options.

Disability Services

Students needing disability assistance should visit the Disability Services (Center for Access) website for complete information.

Southwest Student Identification (ID) Card

Once you have finalized registration, secure your Southwest Student Identification (ID) Card in Student Development.


Obtain a required Parking Hang Tag from the office of Police Services/Public Safety.

Purchase Textbooks

Print a "Student Detail Schedule" from your My.Southwest student account and take it to the bookstore or purchase books online at eFollett.

Report to Class

The "Student Detail Schedule" contains the time and location of your classes. For additional assistance, view How to Read the Schedule.  Students are expected to attend all classes.  F-1 students are required to be enrolled as full-time (at least 12 credit hours) at all times.  Failure to enroll as full-time will result in you being out of status and your Visa in jeopardy of being terminated.

For further assistance, call International Student Affairs at 901-333-4399.

Last updated: July 21, 2020