Emergency Medical Responders
Learn how to save a life! Pre-hospital Emergency Care is an exciting health care career in which you can serve your community. Southwest's Allied Health Sciences department offers Emergency Medical Services related programs of study that include Emergency Medical Technician - Basic, Emergency Medical Technician - Advanced, and Paramedic. These programs will teach you how to render care for people experiencing medical emergencies, as well as how to give care to people who have been injured. Graduates enjoy fulfilling careers with local fire departments and ambulance services.
Our Fire Science degree provides training to meet the critical needs of the fire departments in Shelby County and the surrounding area. The Fire Science program integrates general education and strong career preparation to develop well-rounded fire science professionals. Graduates enjoy fulfilling careers with local fire departments.
Programs of Study
Associate of Applied Science Degree [A.A.S.]
Program and Course Information
To find out more about courses offered at Southwest, you can use our Catalog Search to view descriptions of our courses or the Interactive Course Schedule (opens new window) to see when and where a class is being offered.
- The programs of study require an Application for Special Admission.
- Southwest College Policy Number 2:03:00:00/7: Admission to Allied Health and Nursing Programs (PDF) [Size: 35 KB], requires Adobe Reader (opens new window)
- Effective July 1, 2011 (unless exempted by law) students admitted into any Allied Health or Nursing Program and expecting to have patient contact must present proof of protection against Hepatitis B before patient contact begins.
Paramedic Technical Certificate Annual Program Completion Rate
2017-2018 = 84 percent completion rate. (This includes students who did not complete the program due to non-academic reasons.)
National Credentialing Examination Pass Rate
Percent of students passing the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) certification examination.
- Cognitive Exam 2017-2018 = 95 percent
- Psychomotor Exam 2017-2018 = 100 percent
Employment Rate of Graduates
2017-2018 100% positive job placement within 1 month of program completion