All Southwest permanent employees (non-faculty) will be appraised annually in writing. The performance review will be conducted during the month of the employee’s longevity date.
Each employee should review his or her job description and complete the Self Evaluation in PeopleAdmin. The employee’s Self Evaluation must be submitted to their supervisor prior to the supervisor's preparation of the Employee Performance Evaluation. Employees will be provided with an opportunity to discuss the evaluation with their supervisor prior to the supervisor's submission of the review to Human Resources.
The performance evaluation allows the employee and supervisor to address specific duties, responsibilities and underlying competencies. Most employees should, at a minimum, be evaluated against the following competencies:
- Fostering Teamwork (Individual and/or Supervisory)
- Managing Change (Individual and/or Supervisory)
- Managing Performance (Individual and/or Supervisory)
- Attention to Communication
- Results Orientation
- Customer Orientation
- Personal Credibility
Additionally, at each supervisor's discretion, he or she may evaluate his or her employees using any of the remaining competencies including but not limited to the following:
- Influencing Others
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Technical Expertise
- Interpersonal Awareness
- Diagnostic Information Gathering
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
- Fostering Innovation
- Stress Management
- Establishing Focus
- Providing Motivational Support
Any rating other than "Meets Requirements" must include a supportive statement commensurate to the rating. Below are examples of the types of statements that should be included:
- Needs Improvement: Usually needs direct supervision, even for mundane and everyday tasks. Is not able to think independently or to deal with unexpected occurrences. Gets flustered in unusual situations. Does not always make the best decisions to fit the situation.
- Meets Requirements: Usually adjusts well to changes in the work place. Maintains good customer service relations, even under stress.
- Exceeds Requirements: Looks for ways to streamline procedures to improve efficiency and customer service. Sets priorities and adjusts them as needed when unexpected situations arise.
- Outstanding: Adapted to new systems and processes well and seeks out training to enhance knowledge, skills and abilities. Always seems to know when to ask questions and when to seek guidance.
Note: Overly generalized statements (e.g. Jane is very adaptable.) are not acceptable as supportive statements and may be returned to the supervisor for revision.
Supervisors should share the instructions found in the document links below with employees who do not have easy access to a computer so that they may review their job descriptions and complete the Self Evaluation Goals section of the performance evaluation. Please contact your Human Resource Advisor if you need assistance with this process.
Note: The items shown below are Adobe PDF's and require Adobe Reader.
Supervisors are responsible for ensuring that all employees in their units are evaluated.